Friday, December 28, 2007

I'm glad Christmas is over. I got some very cool presents, but it was a sad, sad day. I sobbed like I haven't sobbed in a long time. More than once. I'm all teary just thinking about it. Enough of that.

My most favorite present is my baseball, signed by the 2007 Red Sox. I've been wondering what makes this year so special. I've always liked the Red Sox, but was most of the time a fair-weather fan. Occasionally when they were doing well, I'd get sucked in. Like in 1978, 1986, and 2003. Each time, my hopes were dashed. Dashed! After the fiasco of 2003, I swore I'd never get sucked in by them again. Even in 2004, I never got sucked in until the ALCS. Of course, I thought for sure they'd stuck it to me again, but they rallied and won the next 8 games and so became champions. It was nice. We were all happy. But I didn't feel vested in them, as I got sucked in so late in the season.

This time was different. First, in April, we bought a mattress that could be free if the Sox won the WS. I even spent more than I would have on the slim possibility that they would win and the mattress would be free. Three days after we bought the mattress, the Sox were in first place in the AL East. Then in August, I started watching games. I saw them hit four home runs in a row in a repeat game from April; I saw Buchholz' no-hitter (but went to bed before the end, not realizing it - I watched the whole thing the next day); I saw walk-off home runs from David Ortiz. It was very thrilling. Well, we all know what happened in the post-season. So this year is different from 2004 and every other year, because I got sucked in and my faith was rewarded (to steal a title from a dvd) this time.

2 comments:

Linda@VS said...

I'm guessing that the sadness on Christmas was because it's the first one you've celebrated without your dad. Is that right?

My mom died the day after Christmas in 1999, which made Christmas a time of sad memories every year after that -- until this year. This year, although I still made the association between the holiday and her death, the memories of her love of the Christmas season were stronger.

You'll have a lot of "firsts" to get through without your dad, and each of them will be sad, but there WILL come a time -- I promise -- when the joyful memories of the years you spent with him will overshadow your present feelings of loss.

Sending you hugs anyway, for good measure.

JavaGirlBT said...

Yes, you're right, Velvet. He died last February kind of suddenly. Thank you for the hugs and for the encouragement. I'm pretty sure that each holiday season will get a little easier.