Monday, May 10, 2010


I wonder if this bird is one of the ones living in the bird cottage. He was only at the window for one second, because Bobby saw him and jumped up on the chair, scaring the bird away. My camera has a "bird" setting, which I just found the other day, so this is the first picture I've taken using it.

On Saturday night we went to the Brookline Community Church's Wild Game Supper. It was fun and I felt very adventurous trying all sorts of wild meat. The offerings included pheasant, wild boar, goose, turkey, duck, salmon, and of course, venison.

While I'm not a huge fan of hunting, I feel that if you eat what you kill, then I'm more comfortable with it. What bugs me are the people who go to places where game is fenced in and hunt for "trophies". There is no sport in that and it's just not honorable. That is a misuse of resources, in my mind. Heads and hides of endangered species belong on the living animals, not in someone's trophy room.

Fortunately most of the hunters around here are the kind who actually eat what they kill. The meat for the WGS was all donated by local hunters. The food was good and it fed many hungry people and offered a fun evening of community for the locals.

No comments: