Monday, September 15, 2008

Musings


I think this is the longest I've gone without a blog post since work on the bead cottage started. Nothing much happened on that front today; the crew is gone and now the subs come in. Mr. Plasterer came today and dropped off wallboard and that was about it. He may be back tomorrow.

I was feeling very sorry for myself today, because I went down cellar to do some filing and I found that we had some water in the basement that had made the wall in the corner all moldy. That really irritated me because I hadn't found it sooner and there's nothing I hate more than a leaky basement (or a leaky roof). It makes me feel so insecure -- as if there's something wrong with the world and there's nothing I can do about it. (As a corollary, when people are working on my house and making things better, I feel great. I think that's why I started with a kitchen/bath remodel and haven't stopped a year later).

But then as I was driving to the vet's (that's another long story), I heard on NPR about the devastation left behind by Ike and a couple of things happened. First, I felt ashamed of myself and my little pity party I had this afternoon. Second, I snapped out of it. I hate to use other peoples' misery to snap me out of mine, but really, what right do I have being all upset about a little water and a little mold when some people have lost everything? I guess it's a matter of perspective. I'm lucky. It's just a little water. I have a shop vac. I have competent people who can fix it for me. It's all good.

No comments: