Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Today was a pretty good day. I had lunch with Amy, and we went over to Blake Brothers. Then I went to the Larry Scott lecture. He was very funny and thought-provoking. I've said before that his sense of humor is much like my Dad's. This evening he did another Dad-like thing. I was the first person to arrive for the lecture because I wanted to arrive in daylight as it was a new-to-me area. Since I was about 45 minutes early, I brought a book to read. I was sitting in the room reading and the light was somewhat dim. When Larry walked in, he said to me "do you have enough light there?" Just like my father would have. Other than those two things, he's quite different from my father.

Amy told me today of a woman with 8 children who just lost her husband. All the kids are under the age of 11 and are home-schooled; the woman has no marketable skills. I almost feel guilty for being so sad about losing my father when I hear stories like this. How awful for those poor children and the mother with no money and no other way of earning a living. I'm so lucky I had my father as long as I did. My mother doesn't have to worry about where her next meal is coming from and for that matter neither do I. I really have it good and it helps somewhat to keep things in perspective.

No comments: